IMPORTANT COVID-19 UPDATE FOR MOUNT VERNON
Earlier this month Governor Andrew Cuomo has released the list of comorbidities and underlying conditions that New York State will use to determine eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine. New Yorkers who have one of the comorbidities on the list can make appointments at state-run mass vaccination sites beginning February 14th, with the first appointments scheduled for February 15th. Local health departments supervising local distribution sites determine how to schedule appointments at their sites, which began for the comorbidity population on February 15th.
The full list of comorbidities and underlying conditions is available below. The list is subject to change as additional scientific evidence is published and as New York State obtains and analyzes additional state-specific data.
Adults of any age with the following conditions due to increased risk of moderate or severe illness or death from the virus that causes COVID-19:
- Cancer (current or in remission, including 9/11-related cancers)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Pulmonary Disease, including but not limited to, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), asthma (moderate-to-severe), pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, and 9/11 related pulmonary diseases
- Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities including Down Syndrome
- Heart conditions, including but not limited to heart failure, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathies, or hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) including but not limited to solid organ transplant or from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, use of other immune weakening medicines, or other causes
- Severe Obesity (BMI 40 kg/m2), Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 kg/m2 or higher but
- Sickle cell disease or Thalassemia
- Type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus
- Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
- Neurologic conditions including but not limited to Alzheimer’s Disease or dementia
- Liver disease
To show they have comorbidities or underlying conditions, New Yorkers must provide documentation as required by the facility where they are getting vaccinated which, must be either:
- Doctor’s Letter, or
- Medical Information Evidencing Comorbidity, or
- Signed Certification
To determine your eligibility, access a list of nearby providers, and schedule your vaccination appointment, use New York State’s ‘Am I Eligible “ app. New Yorkers can also call the New York State Vaccination Hotline at 1–833-NYS-4VAX (1–833–697–4829). Prior to receiving your scheduled vaccination, you must complete the New York State COVID-19 Vaccine Form.